Re: Train driving with the SGR.

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 23:15:52 GMT, mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie
Daly) wrote:

>I had a go last weekend of driving a flat top T hauled passenger train from
>Korumburra to Nyora and back.
>Really great fun, without a doubt.
>The scenery is good and the twisty curves and 1:40 grades make the whole thing
>a real challenge. (especially going down the hill, a dynamic brake sure would
>have helped. Who owns T413??).
>The best part of the day was coming back from
>Nyora to Korumburra up the Bena bank with the poor old T flat out in 8th notch
>making about 40 km/h
>I would heartily recommend this sort of activity to anyone who wants a go at
>the controls.
>Expect to get a sore neck when you have to drive the T with the
>No 2 end leading as all the controls are behind you.
>Hood units with only single driving controls are the pits,(is it only the PTC
>who have these??)

Sounds like great fun !  Is this an activity that the SGR is offering
to the public or just for qualified train drivers ?  How much does it
cost ?  I've not seen it advertised before, but then its a while since
I've been down there.

David A.

David_Arblaster@dse.vic.gov.au  | David Arblaster,
mercury@netspace.net.au         | Melbourne, Australia
"What does it mean when a man unearths an ancient urn but buries
 his thermos flask in the process ?"  Michael Leunig