Re: SLR

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Ashley Wright wrote:

>  A good example of this came to light when I was at Wentworth Park
> after visting the Fish Market (IMO Wentworth park is a much beter fish
> market station than the current one) a lady went to buy a ticket for
> her and her son. Suffice to say that when she couldn't get a ticket
> because she had no change and the machine was coin only she asked the
> driver what to do about getting ticket. The drivers response was to
> get one at the other end. Now what would have happened if a ticket
> inspector had of got on the tram and asked for her ticket. I have no
> doubt if she had of been hit with fare evasion (which if my
> understanding of the transport act is what she just did, regardless of
> if she intended to pay at the other end or not) she would not have
> come back, so at least one less prospective customer.

Just skewing this point slightly, I found myself confronted with a ticket
machine at North Wollongong station a few weeks ago which had decided to
go into Exact Fare Only mode.  Like several others, I only had notes and
there are no shops anywhere nearby where we could have got change.  In the
end I purchased a ticket while changing trains at Thirroul.  The question
is does this situation count as no ticket selling facilities being
available?

The Transport Administration Act (NSW) seems to say that a reasonable
excuse for boarding a train without a ticket can include a person who
arrived in sufficient time that would normally allow a ticket to be
purchased at that time of the week and

> diligently took all steps reasonably necessary to pay the fare, but that
> the person was unable, due to circumstances beyond his or her control,
> to pay the fare.

The regulations seem to put it slightly differently:

That you must travel with a ticket unless you are:

> a person who boards a train at a station where, at all relevant times
> before the person boarded the train, there were no facilities available
> for the issue of tickets.

These things don't seem to fully reflect the use of TVMs and virtual
closure of many stations that have resulted...

Does anyone know what happens of have experience with these points?

Robs
Robert Simons          Studying Information & Communication Technology
quokka@zip.com.au                       @ The University of Wollongong
http://www.zip.com.au/~quokka                       NSW 2522 Australia
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it."  --Mahatma Gandhi