Re: New Yard at Camberwell Station

Chris Gordon <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au.#> wrote in article
<5v4nsh$b8q@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...
> Is that what the yard will be?
>
> I say this because of the current layout I would suggest this:
>

>                ___________
>               /___________\     <--- New Yard
> _            /_____________\
> _\_________ /_______________\__________________________To Melbourne
> _ _/_\___     Plat 1+2       \__/<--Diamond  \______:
> _/___ _\ \____________________/_\____________/_________
> _____/  \_______________________/____\_________________
>               Plat 3
>

> With the exit from the yard connecting under burk road and a diamond
> crossing the current crossover.  And another crossover to connect the
> center with the loacl down.  This will keep the track work down to two
> crossovers one with a diamond on the local up, down and through lines,
> and on set of points connecting to the up local under Burke road.
>

> Chris Gordon

Well you might be right - I left off the existing crossovers and Alamein
line junction track from my original diagram on the assumption they wont
change.  There is no evidence of any intention to do any changes to
existing track other than the new points at the up end to connect to the up
local line which will be under the Burke Road bridge.

I notice today that a bit more track has been laid, and it now appears that
there might be a new headshunt at the down end as well, and the loop
branching structure is a bit different to my original posting, so I think
it will look a bit more like this (new track and platform roads only)

                    ____________
                   /   ________     \     <--- New Yard
                        Plat 3                 |   |

The possible headshunt is at top left, the Burke Road overbridge at right.

By the way, it is intended to turn the remainder of the land, beyond the
third loop line into a commuter car park.  This is quite a cramped location
so I dont think they'll get many cars in there - but at least its making
sensible use of the land.