Re: Dorrigo Museum

Peter Neeve <P.Neeve@ens.gu.edu.au> wrote in article
<5ug4cv$am$1@griffin.itc.gu.edu.au>...
> Just wondering if anyone out there could enlighten me as to current
> developments regarding the collection of rollingstock at Dorrigo.
>
> From what I understand, the collection belongs to a preservation group (I

> forget the name) but is sitting on land purchased by Keith Jones (?).
>
> Is there any word as to what is going to happen to it, as it would seem a

> terrible shame for it to be broken up as it (IMHO) such a large
collection
> and covers so much history, from early steam to diesel.
>
> An old guy I know reckoned it was all going to be sold off for scrap to
Japan
> when metal prices improve - it sounds like madness to me!
>
> TIA.
>
> Peter Neeve - No relation to Peter Neve in NSW as far as I know.

The name of the group is the Dorrigo Steam Railway and Museum Limited and
the land belongs them, they also have the top half of the Dorrigo line. The
bottom half of the line belongs to another group based at Glenreagh. I'm
not a member of either group but I regularly read the newsletter for DSR&M
and according to the latest issue (dated 11th August) the second last
payment on the 50 acres of land purchased is actually due today (9/9). I
don't think that the collection would ever be sold for scrap, as more items
are still being acquired. 7327 has recently moved to Dorrigo from storage,
as has Steam Crane 1081 which is currently being reassembled.
Regards
--
Chris Stratton
stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au