Re: Status of Garratts

Edward Slee <EdSlee@onaustralia.com.au> wrote in article
<01bcbc44.53f38ec0$df5c868b@CBADNS.CBADNS>...

> The complete list:
>
> NSW:
> 6029: Canberra.  Being restored, currently partially dismantled.
> 6039: Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum.  Stored in blackoil
> 6040: Rail Transport Museum, Thirlmere.  Statically restored. Painted in
> 1991.
> 6042: Stored in blackoil at the Lachlan Vintage Village, Forbes.  Owned
by
> Dorrigo Museum.
> A spare boiler is also available at Dorrigo, having been retrieved from
> sawmill use.  It is still on the (shortened) main locomotive frame.  I
> don't know what engine it came from.
> I think there is a spare 60-class Garratt boiler in Canberra
>
> SA:
> 402:  Port Dock Museum, Adelaide
> 409:  Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow, SA.  Stored.  Carries boiler 405.
>
> Qld:
> 1009: Operational on the main line.
>
> Victoria:
> G33.  The only Australian Standard Garratt left.  Static at ARHS museum,
> Williamstown, Melbourne.
> G42   Being restored at Puffing Billy Railway
> 2(?)   On display at the Buffing Billy Museum at Menzies Creek.  Ex
> Fyansford Cement.  Actually a copy of the WAGR Msa class Garratt, which
is
> extinct.  Also the boiler of sister loco no.1
>
> Tasmainian:
> K1 Welsh Highland Railway - being restored to working order
> (The Don River Railway also have the front water tank from an ASG,
mounted
> on a flat car... apparently part of a weed kill / fire fighting tender.)
>

> WA:
> none.

When I was last in Launceston, around August 1995 I think, there was about
four or five of what appeared to be ASG front water tanks lying around on
the ground behind the site of the roundhouse. The roundhouse had been
demolished but the tracks were still in place.
--
Chris Stratton
stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au

Any opinions are all my own work.