Re: Bogies & Bogie Exchanges

"Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:

>A bogie is a frame under a wagon/carriage/loco which carries 2 or more
>wheelsets. The bogie is not fixed to the vehicle but pivots around a
>central point. This is to allow the vehicle to traverse curves of smaller
>radius than would be possible if each axle was attached to the chassis of
>the vehicle.
>Bogie exchange is where the wagon is lifted from the bogies which are then
>replaced with other bogies with wheels of a different gauge. This then
>allows the train to travel on different gauge track. There are/were a
>number of bogie exchange centres around Australia, someone else will
>probably know more about the locations than I do.
>--
>Chris Stratton
>stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au

Bogie exchange was one of the main reasons the Irish
gauge in Victoria and SA was doomed.
Clapp knew it, so did Webb, but in their time nobody
was listening.
The Sydney to Melbourne Standard Gauge was the
beginning of the end of a Colonial "stuff up" that
Australia will carry into the next milleinnium.

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT