Re: Bogies & Bogie Exchanges

Kirk Nesbitt <kanesbit@socs.uts.edu.au> wrote in article
<MPG.e78c0011f693a8989681@news.socs.uts.edu.au>...
> Hi aus.rail
>
> I am doing an assignment on Trains (well specifically carriages).  I need

> to know what the terms Bogie and Bogie exchange are referring to.  What
> exactly is a Bogie?  What happens in a Bogie exchange?
>
> Thanks in advance
> kanesbit@socs.uts.edu.au
> Kirk Nesbitt

A bogie is a frame under a wagon/carriage/loco which carries 2 or more
wheelsets. The bogie is not fixed to the vehicle but pivots around a
central point. This is to allow the vehicle to traverse curves of smaller
radius than would be possible if each axle was attached to the chassis of
the vehicle.
Bogie exchange is where the wagon is lifted from the bogies which are then
replaced with other bogies with wheels of a different gauge. This then
allows the train to travel on different gauge track. There are/were a
number of bogie exchange centres around Australia, someone else will
probably know more about the locations than I do.
--
Chris Stratton
stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au

Any opinions are all my own work.