Re: Olympic Loop

> Sounds good in theory but who is responsibe for the chuckle head that
> tries to open the doors on the opposite side to the guard, gets stuck
> half in and half out as the train mooves off and gets killed. I know our
> guards are good but they arn't that good. After all they only have two
> eyes and one head! Might it be too sensible to have closed circuit
> cameras on both sides to assist the guard. Then again if we have this do
> we need a guard? Here we go again, the old one about having a guard/
> roving conductor/ ticket examiner. Too hard! After all our railway IS
> still 20 years behind the rest of the civilised world.
>                                                                 Bob

Let's hope I have this right. The train pulls into the platform and the
doors on one side open to let the Olympic-bound passengers out. Once the
train is empty the guard has those doors closed and the doors on the
opposite side opened to let city-bound passengers board. Correct?

Now, don't both platforms have barrier gates...one for exiting and one for
entering. Why can't the guard wait until passengers have not only cleared
the train, but cleared to platform (meaning they've ALL gone through the
exit gates). This means that there is no returning on that side of the
platform and that no person can get caught in the doors as no one (except
security) will be on the platform. As long as the platform can be cleared
quickly this should not prove a problem.

Alternatively why not have a guard on each platform permanently. Once doors
on both sides of the train are closed, the guards signal to the driver that
there is no obstruction and that he/she may depart. No one would therefore
get dragged along the platform.

On a side not...are they many female Cityrail drivers?

--
Adam Joyce
adamj@senet.com.au

http://www.home.aone.net.au/joyce/photo

(When replying by e-mail please remove "NoSpam_" from e-mail address)