North East BG loops!

Gidday Maurie,
              nice talking with you. They brought Riggs Creek on line,
about 1 1/2 km short of Violet Town in order to close it as a manned
station. The Euroa end points are protected by an illuminated [solar panel
supplied] point indicator that sits and looks like a two position Home
Signal of the G E variety. The shadow board is rounded at the top and
square at the bottom like all the new sigs being installed in Metro Melb at
the moment.
               In fact when they installed them we thought they were
installing DICE operated loops ala Western Line! The indicator is mounted
high can show a red indication without a left pointing arrow, when
something is amiss. Or it will show a green and a left arrow when the
points are locked for the diverge. If the points fail, the Driver brings
his train to a stand and operates a key device on the post to manualy set
the points. If he succeeds, the green light and indicator will illuminate.
If not the points are track circuited and operated by an automatic
switchman, and knowledge a bit thin here, but
I think a fitter can lock them manually.
            All trains from Melbourne diverge left into the loop at 40 kph.
Warning boards are placed at 2km 1km and 500 meters. The outermost board
features a solar powered pair of
flashing yellow lites which are activated by approaching headlights. The
warning boards are reflectorised and each features a triangular board and
an arrow. Down trains from Melbourne face a Yellow arrow pointing 45 deg.
to the Left.
           Up trains face a similar situation except the arrow
is pointing up the post and is Green.The marker lite also points straight
up. The Up trains always get the straight track but must slow to 65 kph to
brake the points at the opposite end of the loop.
            The points, loop, point indicators etc, are set up so as to be
easily converted to Dice opperation.
            Safeworking is Train Orders and many trains are timetabled to
cross here. The first train in must remember to wait for the crossing
train. The order will state "cross
8xxx loco number N4xx. The Driver makes sure the details are correct and
sites the ETM on the rear of the opposing train, and then
proceeds!...safeworking? The Driver brings his train to a stand short of
the F fouling indicator and will advise the oncoming train if he has not
recieved electronic confirmation that he has arrived complete and is in
clear.
             THe points at each end are protected by sensors
and the 'duckbill' etm used on this line will activate a recorded message
that your train has arrived complete, and after has departed complete, so I
suppose that when the first incident happens here, Victoria's massive LUCK
will prevail and the outher Driver will be close enough to here the message
and alert the first driver as to his mistake!!
             Now back to Bowser,as I have said, we believe it was a
mistake. The points are spiked for the straight, and rumours are that hand
operated switch machines as fitted to
Wangaratta will be installed and the same Master Key will be used by the
Driver to put himself away if ordered. I think that the only chance this
will happen is if the Wuhgunya
line is connected by the new Owners after April. Was visiting friends in
Rutherglen last week, and they talk about 15 containers a day out of there
for the Docks 6 days a week.They also think that another ten local
manufacturers are ready to give up on trucks asap. Rutherglen is hosting up
to 40 buses
each weekend and are ripe for the return of the "Rutherglen
Red" And I reckon Seymour would be at the front of the line to opperate
that one.The info is as accurate as I can tell.
          Well mate! I better send this off and Happy New Year to you and
all who enjoy this group.
                                          Cheers
                                               Rod Young