Re: Trains to Newcastle.

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 23:04:02 +1100, David Johnson
<trainman@ozemail.com.au> took time out from wrapping gaffer tape
around gerbils and wrote:

> > What is the absolute flat out maximum speed of a Tangara?
>
> Nobody knows.  Drivers have boasted about reaching 170 km/h plus, but the speedos on the
> drivers' panel is not well known for its accuracy and could be at least 15 km/h out.  The
> highest official top speed with proper speed recording equipment on a test run was 144 km/h,
> with the driver's speedo showing 150 km/h.  This was on an empty run from Campbelltown to
> Glenfield.  The time taken for the 13 km section was around 7 minutes, an average start - stop
> speed of approximately 111 km/h.

Not bad for an electric unit not really designed for high speed.  It
would be interesting to see a race between a Tangara, the XPT and 3801
between Strathfield and Redfern!   It would be interesting to see how
they handled the rather rough points at Ashfield...  ;-)

Speaking of those points, a rather funny story was related to me by an
SRA driver.  Seems another driver decided to have a pee out of the
drivers cabin.  The train happened to cross the Ashfield points just
as he started to relieve himself.  He peed all over the controls...

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1