Re: Trains to Newcastle.

David Bromage wrote:

> This proves that steam is best. :)

BS.  The recent Historic Electric Traction Tour could have easily broken two hours had it
not been for stopping at a number of stations along the way including photo-stops.
Perhaps one of the tour patrons could give us some times?

The XPT has made it from Sydney to Broadmeadow in 1 hour 36 minutes on an empty run, so 2
hours to Newcastle is quite achievable.

> Hadn't some V sets been trialed at higher speeds? I recall reading
> somewhere about one electric set which had reached 140km/h, or something
> like that.

There was talk of increasing V set speeds to 140 km/h on specific sections, but I think
this has fizzled out.

Empty tangaras are authorised to travel at up to 130 km/h on three sections of the short
north for testing purposes.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard