Re: [Fwd: BRISBANE LIGHT RAIL / TRAMS]

Bill Bolton wrote:

> There is plenty of evidence from recent LRT installations that
> attempting to fit new tram systems into congested traffic patterns
> just doesn't work.  Sheffield probably has some of the best examples
> of this.

Very true comments here Bill.

> >Are these streets that have no public transport? No trucks?
>
> Traffic patterns today are very different from even 10 years ago, let
> alone the nearly 30 years since trams last ran in Brisbane.  The areas
> that seem to be the ones that Gary keep throwing up as objections
> regarding clearances now carry traffic flows to major traffic
> destinations that hardly existed in the 60s, such as the airport.

Ann Street is the main arterey from northside industrial Airport to both
western and south (unfortunately). Many truck owners are too lousey to pat
the Gateway Bridge toll EVEN AFTER WE HALVED. Trying to stop trucks using
Ann Street is becoming a nightmare. Perhaps light rail will! <snicker>

Some have been convinced to travel vis route 5 - Junction Road, Stafford
Road (unfortunately, past may place) and Wardell Street to Western
Freeway, especially since Kaye Street was made less dangerous and the
Enogerra overpass built. There has been quite some success in banning
trucks of certain sizes from Ann Street and policing the ban.

> In any case, its not at all clear why it would be necessary to operate
> a new light rail system "trams" through the former Valley Junction as
> there seem to be just as workable alternative routings close by which
> could avoid many of the problems in the first place.

Not really to the New Farm Area unless it goes down an incline railway to
wharf level or through the Ivory Street tunnel to Adelaide Street. In that
case the Valley Area misses out completely. I suggest you closely look at
the map on their home page http;//www.briztram.qld.gov.au The basic New
Farm Route is the old Bulimba Ferry line extended along the Wharves to the
old New Farm Wharf line to form a loop. One could run up Doggett/Robertson
Street or similar to avoid Ann Street, but you still have to get through
the Valley bottleneck someway. Coming up McLaughlin Street is not on as
its the main north-estaern exit from the Storey Bridge. The bridge traffic
is the real problem. Fortunately only traffic on to the Bridge via Ann
Street is affected by the proposed tramway. Ann Street is the logical
choice alongth the Map shows Wickham Street, because it is wider where it
counts - at the Story Bridge exit onwards to Adelaide Street. The problem
is the Malls in the Valley cut off Brunswick Street from a through tramway
unless the Malls are rebuilt yet again.

The line to RBH is different. Even though the route shown uses Brunswick
Street (very narrow and congested even outside of peak hours) the main
Northern and north-western ext from the Bridge, the alternate route is
much better using Constance Street or similar to the RBH cutting through
the showgrounds (or using Gregory Terrace) to the hospital or in that
general area as it avoids street running. Even if it uses Brookes Street
and O'Connell Terrace it is better than using Brunswick Street

> The more closely I look at the latest Brisbane proposal, the more its
> seems like something which in many small way has almost deliberately
> set up to be unworkable... politics in Queensland is a strange beast,
> so I wont event try to speculate as to why that may be so.

Now, Now Bill. Queensland politics aren't that bad. At least last quarter
we created 95% of all new jobs in Australia and have the most efficient
railway system. Whatever makes you think the government would pull that
type of stunt. As an aside, if every Victorian for next 101 years plus
were taxed an additional $100 per year, Victoria's total asset value would
still not have caught up to Queensland's. Queensland governments over the
past forty years must have got something right.

Cheers

Garry