Re: [Fwd: BRISBANE LIGHT RAIL / TRAMS]

karl <karl@merddyn.apana.org.au> wrote:

> just out from the gutter as the rounded it. There is no room for
> increasing track spacing at it whatsoever. Valley Junction could be
> increased marginally, but then it would be like Ann Street Junction
> was.
>
> Although I said 40ft for width, I feel that the streets in the Valley
> area could be less at around 36ft. as I don't think a full 10ft is
> allowed for each lane of traffic.

As ALex said, with modern multi-section articulated cars the overhang
on any section would be far less than an FM or a droppy.  There should
be no significant problem with arranging track geometry to suit even
the restricted conditions you describe.

However, it if the name of the game in Brisbane is simply to fit the
new system into congested street locations with minimal clearances in
a mixed street traffic environment, it seems to me that much of the
benefit that should arise from a modern light rail system will be
frittered away.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton