[Fwd: BRISBANE LIGHT RAIL / TRAMS]

---- Begin included message ----
John McCallum wrote:

> In article <34839B72.3C6079F2@merddyn.apana.org.au>,
> ht244014@student.uq.edu.au wrote:
>
> Garry,
> You might know the answer to this. There are several locations in
> Melbourne
> where trams negotiate corners where they almost touch the light
> poles or
> verandahs. Are there any laws, regulations etc in Brisbane which
> would prevent
> such layouts there? The locations that I am referring to in
> Melbourne are such
> intersections as Chapel St and Balaclava Rds. The curve radii on
> these curves
> are 60 or 65 foot. If the curves had been laid to allow normal track
> to kerb
> spacing, the radius would have about 40 ft as in Brisbane and Perth.

I'm aware of what you're saying here John. As for regulations I don't
know, but at the corners in Brisbane where trams will be running
again, traffic could not clear between the tram and curb when rounding
a corner as it was. Ann Street Junction had the trams virtually
overhanging the footpath almost when they rounded the corner, so it
can't be eased anymore as you suggest unless we permit them to take a
short cut through the public bar of the Empire Hotel. That corner used
to see running boards of loaded drop centres scrapping the roadway
just out from the gutter as the rounded it. There is no room for
increasing track spacing at it whatsoever. Valley Junction could be
increased marginally, but then it would be like Ann Street Junction
was.

Although I said 40ft for width, I feel that the streets in the Valley
area could be less at around 36ft. as I don't think a full 10ft is
allowed for each lane of traffic.

Cheers

Garry

---- End included message ----