Re: Is it viable ?

Marc Hunt wrote:

> Given my vague knowledge of British rollingstock, MkII coaches are from the
> 60's
Late 1960s. The mk2 E and F variants were built in the early 1970s
, MkIII's  are from the 70's, MkIV are from the 80's.
> So this makes the MkIII's going on 30 years old, quite old by European
> standards and probably on the cards for replacement.

They are all integrally constructed and are effectively a steel
'tube'. Certainly TranzRail here found it viable to refurbish a few,
but one has to question the lengths they went to. Other posters have
commented on the cost, but a large part of this was because they
basically started with the steel tube, replacing the air conditioning,
doors, and bogies, and fully rebuilding the interiors. I have no idea
why they replaced the bogies rather than simply putting 1067mm gauge
wheelsets in the existing bogies, which would surely have been
cheaper.

I can't see why a simple refurbishment of the interiors wasn't enough.
After all there isn't much that can go wrong with a steel tube except
corrosion, and I think that they are built from cor-ten steel anyway.

--
For a dining "experience" visit the "Killer Prawn" in Whangarei!
Be served and charged for food *without even ordering it*!