Re: Is it viable ?

"Marc Hunt" <tcpkl@po.jaring.my> wrote in message
9f04e2$dhq$1@news4.jaring.my">news:9f04e2$dhq$1@news4.jaring.my...
> After all this talk, could a business venture inport, say 20 or so
Brittish
> MkIII coaches, lease or buy 4 or 5 ex-NR or FC 80 class Locos and make a
> "go" of long or medium distane passenger travel ?
>
> Ok it's a dream but so was Bay Watch Hawaii :)
>
> Marc  Hunt

I guess it largely depends on how much the MKIIIs cost, freight and
handling, and how much you have to spend on refurbishing them for whatever
you want to do with them.  No doubt if they're disposing of them, they're in
pretty ordinary condition.  They'd have to meet accreditation standards
applicable in whatever states you ran them.

TranzRail in New Zealand bought a number of MKII coaches, put them on narrow
gauge bogies and refurbished them, I think the refurbishment costs were
quite high so I believe many of them remain in storage in the Lower Hutt
area.  They installed new auto plug doors, no doubt that was expensive.

Regards

David Bennetts