Re: Is it viable ?

My guess is given the number of both sleeping and sitting cars sold by the
SRA some 6 years ago and then number that have been returned to service,
practically none, that there isn't money to be made. Perhaps a smart
businessman could do it, but often the smarter they are, the more they
realise there are better and easier ways to make money than to have to deal
with the complexities and idiosyncracies of rail systems in this country.

There are so many individuals and organisations out there who try to make a
buck this way, yet so few have succeeded. Apart from the preservation groups
in various states, the only commercial organisation to have any luck at a
start up operation has been NRR in NSW, helped by purchasing some very
lovely ready to run carriages.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne