Re: VicRail/Australia Freight diesel paint scheme

James Mancuso wrote:

> After looking at some photos of VicRai/Austrailia Freight diesel locomotives,
> particularly the GM style double ended cab units, I noticed that the two tone
> green paint scheme and winged logo on the nose of these GM units bears a
> striking resemblance to that used by the Erie Railroad here in the States on its
> passenger units from the time they were delivered in 1951 to the October 17,1960
> merger with the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western.

If you think the FA livery bears a striking resemblance, then you should
see the old VR livery that was originally applied to the B and S class
locos from the 1950's to the early 1980's. This was basically a copy of
the Erie livery but it was blue with yellow lining. FA based their
current livery on the old VR livery.

Here is a B&W shot of B80 in the early 1960's. This image is in the
Historical photos section of my web site. The A's are rebuilt B class
locos. Unfortunately I don't have any colour photos online, but at least
this shows the lining scheme. SRHC have fully restored B74 to original
condition.

Image shrunk in a HTML page to fit in the browser window:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/historical/b80.html

Direct link to the file:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/historical/b80.jpg

Please note: This image is copyright and must not be used for anything
other than personal non-profit use without my permission.

(BTW, Railpage are doing some maintenece at the moment, so if you have
problems downloading it please try again later.)

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au