Re: PRIDE 2 & Validation messages (Was: [melb] Announcement heard at Box Hill_

> There's always an open barrier at the stations (At city stations these are
> manned), I notice everyone walks thru there, but what's that beep sound that
> occurs as you walk past without swiping your ticket in? (Record number of
> passengers perhaps?)

No, it is to let the person manning the barrier gate that you are naughty
and haven't validated a ticket.

At the City Stations all the barriers are shut now, if you have a faulty
ticket, v/line ticket, paper met ticket (still sold by national bus), then
they will use their Metcard Xpress (CSE version) to open the gate for you.

> > Announcements telling passengers to validate their Metcards are getting a
> > bit tedious at best now. They've printed it on floors, walls, paper, ads,
> > competitions, and now the PRIDE 2 system. Surely if people haven't
> > developed a habit of validating by now, they never will.
> >
> > Interesting to note today there are still humans doing head counts at
> > selected stations in the suburban system. Noted at Kensington this morning
> > around 9am. The whole validation concept working at it's best it seems.

hahaha, that is because the Metcard database was set up in a way for the
passenger counting and all that, you require two validations, one when
starting the journey and one when finishing the journey.

It is hard enough to get people to validate once, it is a wonder they ever
thought they could get people to validate twice. The people the wrote the
specs for Metcard, I think have never even seen a train, tram or bus, and
never even caught public transport.

C @ Uni.