Re: [Sydney] Light Rail into the CBD?

Garry Hoddinett wrote:

> "Ted Gay" <tedgay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>
> > In Europe and North America new services are being built at street level,
> > the fad to place trams and light rail below in subways has passed.
> > Manchester deemed long held plans to cross the city in subway as being far
> > to expensive.
>
> The subway is already largely in existence and that is why the costs could
> be lower than running down Pitt & Castlereagh Streets.
>
> I just make the point that it may be an idea worth further exploring and
> costing as it seems to over come many of the objections used to stiffle the
> Sydney Light Rail service being extended into the CBD.

Every successful modern light rail system in North America and Europe
runs on the surface through the CBD, people want surface transport in
CBDs.

The objections in Sydney are from the road lobby lead by or leading???
the Roads Minister Carl Scully and by property interest who don't give a
fig about the travelling public.

The only services that go underground are heavy rail similar to
Cityrail.

Chris