Re: [Sydney] Light Rail into the CBD?

"Ted Gay" <tedgay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
zLJO6.11240$hV3.10279@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:zLJO6.11240$hV3.10279@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> "> Sorry but extremely short and narrow Blackburn Street does not line up
with
> Hay Street, while waiting for the 'white T' at Castlereagh Street corner I
> watch the reflection of the east facing traffic lights in the windows of
> Sharpies golf shop.

Then SLR purchase the properties opposite Hay Street to enable the light
rail line to run through to Foster Street where it could then "dive" into a
tunnel.  The ground naturally rises towards Oxford Street anyway so there
might not be much of a "dive".

> The plan is to build the new tracks in the positions of the old in Pitt
and
> Castlereagh Streets, therefore there should not be any services to be
moved.
> Trams will run in the 3rd lane and use the right hand doors at stops.

Tram services finished 40 years ago.  Wanna bet there are no services in the
street?  The company I work for was involved in some of the street upgrades
undertaken before the Olympics.  There are services everywhere in the
streets.

> In Europe and North America new services are being built at street level,
> the fad to place trams and light rail below in subways has passed.
> Manchester deemed long held plans to cross the city in subway as being far
> to expensive.

The subway is already largely in existence and that is why the costs could
be lower than running down Pitt & Castlereagh Streets.

I just make the point that it may be an idea worth further exploring and
costing as it seems to over come many of the objections used to stiffle the
Sydney Light Rail service being extended into the CBD.