Re: [NSW] fatality at Kingswood

Bill Bolton <billbolton@computer.org> wrote in message
e2gfgtksqf94pc3dpopad7pffkp9jaa4i8@4ax.com">news:e2gfgtksqf94pc3dpopad7pffkp9jaa4i8@4ax.com...
> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Recently, during a major power failure in the city, the entire CBD
> > was blacked out
>
> It wasn't.
>
> > but the underground stations were fully lit, and trains were running
> > because the routed power from Lithgow, Newcastle and Wollongong.
>
> Since the railways do not have their own AC High Voltage transmission
> lines, it not possible to "route power" over those sorts of distances
> in the way you are describing above.  I think you are misunderstanding
> the manner in which the rail system interacts with the commercial
> power grid from which it draws power.

I live 900m away from the Western Line at Hazelbrook and a RIC 66kV
transmission line, labelled "66kV Rail Access Corporation", connecting Lawson
and Faulconbridge substations crosses the street 2 doors down.  This line
appears to traverse the Blue Mountains linking all the substations (Emu
Plains, Blaxland, Faulconbridge, Lawson, Katoomba,  Mt Victoria, Newnes
Junction & Oakey Park??).

This seems like a fairly significant RIC network of feeder lines (at least out
west, I can visualise an Illawarra equivalent also around Coal Cliff) - just
how vast is this network?

Chris