Re: Tasmania..ah! what a nice spot to check out.

athan <hatsoff@bigstix.com> wrote in message
> Not all of us are as worked up as some of the posts on this interesting
forum,
> but we certainly acknowledge some need for concern.
>
> On a complelely different note, was a pleasant time this morning on the
banks
> of the Derwent River near the Regatta grounds watching Y2 bring two 'blue'
ACS
> class and a PT  carriages (open to correction)

Correction being; carriage [Emu Bay Railway] No. ABL2, converted from T.G.R.
combination railcar passenger/guards/baggage trailer, DT2. (So you were
close with the "PT" guess!)

> into HBA for the Mothers' Day special.
> The paint work on Y2 looks good, although, the horns are interesting.
Seemed
> odd hearing the throaty "Z" class style sounds coming from a Y. I know
safety
> must come first, but it did seem a bit strange at first.

With the unprotected (by A.N. Tasrails removal of the Type 'F' level
crossing lights/bells), other than by our volunteer flagmen, level crossings
on the Lyell Highway, we need all the noise we can generate!! Anyway, we
like the "Z" sound! By the way, have any of you mainlanders got any spare
Nathan 5 Chimes??!! Now that would really blow the cobwebs out of dopey
motorists and truckers ears!!

> I hope that all on board, passengers and crew had a great day out.

As I was driving the train between New Norfolk (where our esteemed President
and myself relieved the early shift, comprising our G.M. and C & W Manager)
and Westerway, I only have it on the reliable advice of our carriage crew,
that all had a wonderful time! The barbecue lunch at Westerway was so
popular that there was virtually nothing left for my 'mate' and myself,
after I finished running the "Y" around the train and shunting the "KG"
loaded with new sleepers (for the repair of the line to National Park) out
of the way!!

Regards,

--
Stephen Zvillis,