Re: Airport link impressions

Dave Proctor wrote:

> Arrived at Central on the 0345 from Springwood, which did not stop at
> Redfern because of "emergency track maintenance work on Platform 1",
> according to the guard's announcement (this was greeted with laughter from a
> number of people on board). Accordingly, arrived at Central a few minutes
> early, which meant we were able to catch the 0509 to Domestic, which
> fortunately was running slightly late. About 25 people alighted at Domestic,
> a few were workers in uniform but most were air passengers.

I went to Melbourne on Thursday and had no problems getting to Domestic
for a 1pm flight, or coming back into the city on Sunday. I did question
the value of my $11.60 ticket when the 1317 Newcastle then required 58
minutes from Sydney Terminal to Hornsby, but that's for another thread
:)

> Comparisons:
>
> Brisbane has better trains, and is faced with the advantage that the service
> is not part of an existing line - so when you board at Domestic, the train
> is empty, and at International there will only be a few passengers already
> on board. This is a huge advantage for those with a lot of luggage, compared
> to Sydney where you might be boarding a train that is already standing room
> only.

Which is the whole folly of the Sydney arrangement; why not build a loop
track under the existing tunnel on the Wolli Creek side of International
so shuttles can operate into the city and back out again without
interfering with Illawarra/East Hills movements? This would also allow
Macarthur services to operate express to Turrella or beyond.

Dion