[QLD] interchange times at park road

  Just before going to bed, I've been going over the timetables for Been,
Clev, FG, Rob, and Dom in detail trying to figure out how the interchange
times at Park Road (Been <-> Clev) could be significantly improved once all
four platforms at Park Road become operational.  At current the change over
times for passengers travelling between these lines is 24 mins off peak
in both directions (becoming 54 mins late night/early weekend - except Fri
for Been -> Clev).

  Within minutes I realised changing anything on the Beenleigh line has
a carry-on affect that changes multiple lines throughout the system.
ie: Beenleigh affects Ferny Grove, which in turns changes Cleveland,
changing Robina, changing Domestic etc.

  The only solution I could figure out was to redesign the train map.
Change Beenleigh trains to terminate at Bowen Hills/Doomben and Cleveland
trains to run to Ferny Grove.  In short, the timetables for these two lines
are swapped (when a Beenleigh train is due to depart Park Road, it goes to
Cleveland and so on with the same happening for city bound services).
[As a add on affect the Robina timetable ends up being shifted by
15 minutes to correctly line up with the Beenleigh timetable, and
services to Domestic from Robina end up being swapped with services
originating from Roma Street].

  This changes the interchange times for Been <-> Clev at Park Road to a
pleasant 8 minutes (a considerable improvement).

  The other interchange times that are a drag are the northern lines
at Northgate (Cabl <-> Shor) which are 26 minutes each way.  As far as I
know the Shorncliffe line is double track all the way, so the timetabling
for these lines is easier to change.

  Of course Ipswich passengers arriving at the city, miss Robina services
by a frustrating 2 minutes (waiting 28 or 58 mins for their next train)
but I'll save that one for another time...

on a complaint form.  From what I heard it raised a few eyebrows :)

  Now I'll go to bed and leave everyone in peace...

--

Steven McIntyre
stev@uq.net.au