Re: Airtrain [QLD] End of elevated track at airport.

"Dave Proctor" <david@spambait.proctor.net> wrote in message
> "John Lambert" <trebmalaj@knilortem.ten.ua> wrote in message
> > Does anyone on this NG know what protection there is at the end of the
> > elevated track at Brisbane Airport Domestic Terminal to prevent trains
> from
> > running off the end of the structure and into thin air.
>
> Considering that QR use a variant of ATP, i.e. restrictive signal aspects
> require an affirmative action from the driver, then it is the same as any
> other terminus (Ferny Grove, etc.)
>
> Dave

As usual, Dave, you haven't the foggiest, do you?

The system used at Domestic is a steel stop block frame clamped to the rails
in about 6 places. 4 additional "brakes" are clamped to the rails behind it.
If a train hits the stop block, it will skid along the rail collecting the
extra "brakes" along the way which add to the friction and increase the
stopping power. The units are designed to stop a fully laden 6 car train in
8 metres from 20km/h. The distance from the stop block to the end parapet is
about 20 metres, from memory.  I am told these same stop blocks are used at
Perth City station in the dock platforms. Check out
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qrhistory/files/Matt%20Smith%27s%20pix./P00013
44.jpg to see what it looks like.

Now Dave, remember mate, better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to
speak and remove all doubt.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, Australia

Email - mattyq1009 at dingoblue dot net dot au

Notice - All comments and opinions made herein are that of the author only
and do not represent the official view of QR. All text included in this post
(and/or reply) is copyright to the author. This message may not be
reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the
author.