Re: Box Hill Tram update

> I think its got something to do with the widening of the road, etc, so that
> the tram has right of way. Not as simple as digging up the road and laying
> down tracks =)

What they said at the meeting (I was there) was two very different
things.  First was they wanted to start stage 1 (there are 2 stages) in
June and that would be three weekens to lay track from Union Road to
almost Elgar Road.  Stage 2 would follow.

The second thing was the whole project had to be complete by 1 June 2002
(part of the contract), but they hope to finish before that. (Once it is
complete the government gives Yarra Trams a lump sum payment, so in
effect the private operator at the end of the day doesn't pay a cent for
the extension)

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero