Re: Box Hill Tram update

Chris Gordon wrote:

> What they said at the meeting (I was there) was two very different
> things.  First was they wanted to start stage 1 (there are 2 stages) in
> June and that would be three weekens to lay track from Union Road to
> almost Elgar Road.

Well if they can lay the track to Elgar Road in three weeks (and that is
two-thirds of the extension) then I can certainly understand how they
might be able to lay the remaining third to Box Hill by September of
this year which was the opening date I had been told.

>  Stage 2 would follow.
>
> The second thing was the whole project had to be complete by 1 June 2002
> (part of the contract), but they hope to finish before that.

Well if it's two-thirds done in three weeks, why wait another year to do
the rest?

>(Once it is
> complete the government gives Yarra Trams a lump sum payment, so in
> effect the private operator at the end of the day doesn't pay a cent for
> the extension)

Why should Yarra Trams pay? This extension was promised long before the
system was leased to private operators. The same with the Knox City
extension and the Docklands one and the Port Melbourne pier one and the
Route 70 diversion etc etc

When are the Ws returning?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand