Re: Box Hill Tram update

> > What they said at the meeting (I was there) was two very different
> > things.  First was they wanted to start stage 1 (there are 2 stages) in
> > June and that would be three weekens to lay track from Union Road to
> > almost Elgar Road.
>
> Well if they can lay the track to Elgar Road in three weeks (and that is
> two-thirds of the extension) then I can certainly understand how they
> might be able to lay the remaining third to Box Hill by September of
> this year which was the opening date I had been told.

The rest includes road widing, reserved track (where there is currently
no median strip) and things like that.

> > The second thing was the whole project had to be complete by 1 June 2002
> > (part of the contract), but they hope to finish before that.
>
> Well if it's two-thirds done in three weeks, why wait another year to do
> the rest?

They don't want to, just get the extension open as quick as they can.
(but the second stage will take a few months)

> Why should Yarra Trams pay? This extension was promised long before the
> system was leased to private operators. The same with the Knox City
> extension and the Docklands one and the Port Melbourne pier one and the
> Route 70 diversion etc etc

I am just highlighting who pays.  (Most people might think the pritave
operater pays for the captial works, refurbishment programs, and new
rollingstock)

> When are the Ws returning?

They hope to have the City Circle ones running with in 2 month. (I
understand the first CC tram, 925, is now back at Southbank Depot after
re-painting, but I have no idea what they did to the brakes) The rest of
the CC trams are currently being re-painted at Preston Workshops.

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero