Re: Sydney/Melbourne transport comparisons

ajwright@ozemail.com.au (Ashley Wright) wrote:

> Isn't that progress? If you have somthing that works and works well
> (which in the 2 years I lived in Sydney I never had a problem) then
> why not reinvent the wheel and introduce somthing that doesn't work
> and is obviously prone to more faults!

Once the new machines have "shaken down" in service for a while, there
is no reason to expect they wont be as reliable as the existing TVMs.
They provide the opportunity to display more information to passengers
about ticketing options, special event conditions etc than a couple of
lines of dot matrix display can handle.

> (Touch screens will fail more than a dumb button)

Touch screen technology is used in a number of high reliability
applications because it is less likely to fail than mechanical contact
systems.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton