Re: [UK] Ironic

>The coaches are interchangeable. I don't know whether the HST and the
>IC225 coaches have identical wiring,.........

I am certain they do not have the same wiring or end to end control system.

>At one time there was a difference between HST trailers and ordinary
>hauled stock - something to do with control lines and heating systems,
>I believe.

HST Mk 3 Caoches have 3 phase intercoach wiring for heating and air
conditioning
25KV (i.e those on WCML have 1000 volt coach wirting for air con etc
IC 225 coaches Mk4 (different profile to Mk 3) and probably different
wiring - probably 1000 volt to save on inverters / generators as they
operate on 25kv route only.

> I'm not near a reference source, but I'm pretty sure that
>the Driving Van Trailers on the ECML are actually converted HST
>vehicles and thus that the IC225 and HSTs have the same inter set
>wiring.

DVT's for IC 225 on ECML are Mk 4 design not evolved from HST.
DVT's on WCML are from Mk 3 type design i.e. look like HST
Some HST power cars were modified with buffers and different control wiring
fo assist in trials - some with the Class 89 loco.

>The former involved the First Great Western train, the latter a
>> Great North Eastern train.  Intercity 125 has a service speed of 125
miles
>> per hour, Intercity 225 a speed of 225 kilometres per hour.

I am pretty sure that no line speed in the UK is authorised for above 125
MPH running execpt for a section between Peterborough & Grantham which was
equipped with additional signalling (flshing Green Aspect) for 140 MPH
Trials - but not passeneger services.

AV