Re: [MELB]Early sunday trains

"Anthony Morton" <amorton@mudguard.ee.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
99be2b$ma1$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:99be2b$ma1$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...
> Daniel Bowen <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote:
> >I think it's a mixed bag. The most important improvement (which is quite
> >significant when you think about it, and almost makes up for a lot of the
> >bad stuff) is the upgrading of most Sunday daytime frequencies to
Saturday
> >levels. That in itself has made the whole system much much more useable
than
> >it ever was while under government control.
>
> But of course this wasn't an initiative of the private operators - it was
> Kennett government promise in 1996, only belatedly fulfilled in 1998
before
> the hand-over to private operators.
>
> This may be nitpicking, but I don't want people to get the impression that
> this improvement has come about as a consequence of privatisation.

Perfectly true, yes. It's sometimes tempting to believe that the ALP are
better for public transport, but you do have to remember the steady
improvements made to Sunday frequencies by the coalition, as well as opening
the loop on Sundays. And remember the huge private bus service cuts made in
1991 when the ALP was in power.

NX have made a small effort to improve tram frequencies, with routes
3,5,64,67 switching every 12 minute (before: 15) in weekday off-peak times.
And Sunday trains every 30 minutes (instead of 40).

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au