Re: Metcard Adventures (Was: [Melb] Fare evasion)

Graeme Cleak <gcleak@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Isn't what Dave Proctor saying about planning ahead the same as when
>travelling about on local buses and trams in the US where you need  to "plan
>ahead" to have a pocket full of quarters etc to feed the exact fare fare
>boxes?

The US is pretty close to world's worst practice when it comes to public
transport.  Hardly a shining example by which to benchmark our systems.

>Or, closer to home, try getting on a Westbus vehicle with a $50 note for a
>$2.40 journey.

On Melbourne trams you can't even buy a $5 ticket with a $5 note.  You'll
have to admit there's a big difference between $5 and $50.

And what about the person at the train station who wants four tickets costing
$5 each, but can't use their $20 note because the machine makes them carry out
four separate transactions and won't give more than $10 in change?

Face it, the system sucks.

TM