Re: Ararat rail return at a crucial stage

Thank you Graeme for seeing the validity of the argument. Railways are
fantastic for moving large volumes of freight and passengers. The line from
Ballarat to Ararat was once part of one of Victoria's most important rail
lines. Now it is irrelevant, not needed because of the standard gauge line
that follows the easier grades to Geelong.

If the line was restored would it ever be upgraded beyond a rattly passenger
only branch line? If not, then the superior riding qualities of buses on the
adjoining national highway are by far the most passenger friendly option.

Investment in rail should be made in areas that can show what modern trains
are capable of, rather than throwing away money on a line with no chance of
extension, which serves no communities along the way (and will not generate
any freight), between two centres that have existing rail services, but on
two different gauges!

Railways are commercial enterprises, and their purpose should be to generate
profits. They aren't built as a Gunzel paradise to be heavily subsidised by
industries or government,

Cheers
John Wayman

3ac03669@nap-ns1.netconnect.net.au">news:3ac03669@nap-ns1.netconnect.net.au...