Re: Ararat rail return at a crucial stage

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:30:41 +1100, David Bromage
<dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote:

>Success for the Ararat passenger trains project is at a crucial in
>between stage according to Wimmera Mallee Rail Service Association
>secretary, Mr Phillip Jones.
>
>http://stawell.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&category=general%20news&story_id=31701
>(Stawell Times-News)
>
>[Interestingly, this was not in the Ararat Advertiser.]

I cant help wonder why its impossible to provide a SG passenger rail
service to Ararat.
Is NXP prohibited from running SG passenger trains in Victoria.?
If there is a good business case to provide trains again to Ararat
with the additional expenditure of $5 million to re open Ballarat to
Ararat, then why isnt there an equally good business case to provide
rail services to Stawell , Horsham and Dimboola, as we used to have .
Horsham alone is much bigger than is Ararat.
There seems to be this fixed mentality that its impossible to provide
country pass trains on SG in Victoria.
Westrail dont have any problems in running country SG pass trains.(a
la the prospector)
If NXP dont want to do it , then why not let GSR or even WCR.
Guage converting pass carriages isnt a difficult task.

MD