Re: [NSW] September 2001 timetable and Millennium train delivery

"Dave Proctor" <david@spambait.proctor.net> wrote in message
lafshtc9b287s6gpri72hervc11v6757iu@4ax.com">news:lafshtc9b287s6gpri72hervc11v6757iu@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:54:20 +1000, "Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Paul Jones" <zifnab_spam_@goconnect.net> wrote in message
> >9fjthi$4kpvm$1@ID-90616.news.dfncis.de">news:9fjthi$4kpvm$1@ID-90616.news.dfncis.de...
> >

> >> Duplication works between Blacktown and Quakers Hill are now well and
> >truly
> >> underway. Based on past works (Blacktown loop, Marayong overbridge) it
> >> should be finished by 2004.....perhaps....
> >
> >That should've been started long ago then...
> >
> >I'm not quite sure on the patronage levels on the Richmond line, so
whether
> >patronage would justify duplication, I'd have no idea.
>
> That then raises the question of cause and effect. If the patronage is
> insufficient to justify more services, is it because the hourly
> service does not encourage people to use it? Would a more frequent
> service mean increased patronage?

More frequent service from Riverstone to Richmond is needed for sure. As for
patronage, the other night I boarded a train at Parramatta about 6:30pm and
I was lucky to be able to physically enter the train. I didn't even get a
seat till it got to Quakers Hill (where 1/3 of the train emptied). It was
still quite full after it left Riverstone. Even in off-peak on the odd
occasion when we get a 4 car set it is usually packed before it gets to
Riverstone (City bound)

--
Paul Jones
http://pj_rail.tripod.com