Re: State Rail - No, State Joke. [NSW]

"Bradley Torr" <truenorth@one.net.au.SPAMTRAP> wrote in message
01c0ea64$7aec2760$cf3e0c3d@default">news:01c0ea64$7aec2760$cf3e0c3d@default...
| Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in article

| > No government collects tax by sending a bill to residents.
|
| Local governments send rate notices to resident property owners (and
| non-resident property owners too). Still, the rate notice takes the form
of
| a bill in the mail.

But is neither a tax nor a tax imposed on residents.

| If you file a federal tax return and you end up owing money, then the
| Australian Tax Office sends you a bill in the mail asking you to pay the
| remainder of the tax you owe.

But is not normally how it collects tax, nor is it a tax on residents.

| I read your points, and I agree that it's difficult to tax RESIDENTS using
| current revenue frameworks. Perhaps a Margaret Thatcher-style poll tax
| would be in order - but any government game enough to do that would be
| facing sure defeat. Still, I can't see anything prohibiting state
| governments or regional associations of councils bringing in
geographically
| specific taxation (whether on income of people living within certain
| postcodes or councils, or taxes on property, or whatever) for the purpose
| of raising revenue for geographically specific infrastructure projects
such
| as roads, public transport, water supply and drainage, etc.

I think the Feds have tried to pass some of the income tax abilities back to
the states, but they've avoided it so far.

| > Thank christ, I don't want those wankers blowing even more of more
money.

| It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll pay more money in tax - just that
| you'll have to pay a larger proportion of the money you already pay in tax
| to higher levels of government directly to lower levels of government.

Yeah, right. With no restrictions, the local self-important dickheads would
know no bounds.