Re: State Rail - No, State Joke. [NSW]

"Bradley Torr" <truenorth@one.net.au.SPAMTRAP> wrote in message
01c0ea45$1dd4c420$cf3e0c3d@default">news:01c0ea45$1dd4c420$cf3e0c3d@default...
| Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in article
| > | a Public
| > | Transport Tax to residents within the 40-odd Metropolitan Sydney
| boroughs?
| >
| > And collect it how?
|
| The same way the State Government (and other governments) collect any
other
| tax - send out a bill to residents -

No government collects tax by sending a bill to residents.

| tack on a charge to vehicle registrations within metropolitan Sydney
councils

That's not residents, it's vehicle owners.

| - make residents file a tax return like with Federal taxes

Would require a change of law and still wouldn't tax residents, only
taxpayers.

| - ad a 2% sales tax to retail goods sold within the County of Cumberland

Doiesn't tax residents, taxes the buyer of the goods.

| - it's not that difficult!

I disagree, as you still can't show how to tax Sydney Metroploitan residents
to pay for the public transport.

| In America, it's not unusual for people to have to pay taxes to many
| different levels of government.

As do we here, but none of it is based on residency.

| Apart from the annual income tax return to
| the federal Internal Revenue Service, there's - state income taxes, state
| sales taxes, county taxes, municipal property rates, school district
taxes,
| transit district taxes, township taxes, etc. etc. ad nauseum! Australia
has
| one of the most centralised taxation systems in the world - good in the
| sense that we only have to file one tax return, bad in that the lower
| levels of government are almost entirely dependent on higher levels of
| government for their funding, and permission to levy taxes and set the
| rates thereof.

Thank christ, I don't want those wankers blowing even more of more money.

| > | At least it's not company tax - from 49% to 30% in a little over a
| decade!
| >
| > And still the bastards sponge off the workers. Payroll tax is about the
| only  way they get *any* tax out of most companies.
|
| But, don't you know Tezza, 'trickle down' economics is good! It really
does
| work! The theory goes like this - if you lower taxes for corporations and
| encourage them to invest by lowering taxes in a given jurisdiction, allow
| them to maintain maximum profits, the rich will get richer, and will
employ
| more people, and there will be more pay packets in the community to buy
| goods from corporations, who will get richer again, and will employ more
| people, etc. etc. If the rich are allowed to stay rich, their prosperity
| will trickle down to us lowly peons. Or, that's what the economic
| rationalist ideologues say.

Yeah, right! Does anyone still believe that crap these days?

| Or, of course, the rich will just get richer and hoard their money and sit
| on their massive profits and actually shed workers so they can make more
| money..... but don't tell the current powers-that-be that! And if you
| privatise the railways, market forces will ensure that service levels are
| maintained because it's in the interest of the owners to provide the
| highest possible levels of service! And pigs may develop wings and engage
| in aeronautical hobbies!

Duck, I think I see a whole herd(?) coming.