Re: [Melb] Airport rail link fight Was: Re: Airport rail link fight

On 16 Mar 2001 01:30:15 GMT, quentisl@leaves.qjc.cjb.net (OgO) wrote:

>In aus.rail, on 16 Mar 2001, David Bromage announced:
>
>>More than 3000 submissions against using the Broadmeadows line for a
>>proposed fast train link to Melbourne Airport were presented to the
>>State Government yesterday.
>>
>>http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/03/16/FFXUDTQBBKC.html
>
>I read this article, and I still don't understand - maybe (obviously) I'm
>missing something but what is the huge disadvantage of having the airport
>rail link going through the broadmeadows line?
>
>The only possible disadvantage I can see is that level crossings will be
>used more by trains, but unless they build a new line with overpasses and
>underpasses and other things ending in passes, they're going to have to
>use level crossings anyway, wherever it is...
>
>And what is the advantage to using the St. Albans line (Albion), the
>airport is north of the city, Albion is west, right out of the way?
>
>OgO

I must confess also that I am completely lost regarding this project.
According to my Melways the esisting Albion - Broadmedows line passes
within 4 km of Tullamarine Airport.
Why on earth would you want to build a completely new line from
Essendon.

But stranger things have happened.
In Sydney , we aways had a railway line going right past Mascot which
was only used for goods , and we just had to build a completely new
line from Central which is now going broke .

Maybe I am missing something???

MD