[Melb] Airport rail link fight Was: Re: Airport rail link fight

In aus.rail, on 16 Mar 2001, David Bromage announced:

>More than 3000 submissions against using the Broadmeadows line for a
>proposed fast train link to Melbourne Airport were presented to the
>State Government yesterday.
>
>http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/03/16/FFXUDTQBBKC.html

I read this article, and I still don't understand - maybe (obviously) I'm
missing something but what is the huge disadvantage of having the airport
rail link going through the broadmeadows line?

The only possible disadvantage I can see is that level crossings will be
used more by trains, but unless they build a new line with overpasses and
underpasses and other things ending in passes, they're going to have to
use level crossings anyway, wherever it is...

And what is the advantage to using the St. Albans line (Albion), the
airport is north of the city, Albion is west, right out of the way?

OgO

--
My Win9x Cursors: http://qjc.cjb.net/cursors.html
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.