Re: super series wheelslip control

> Why did they ballast in the "Rat holes" Between Zig Zag & Edgecombe
> reguarding super series for Hmmmmm. Come all you experts see who
> answer this?.

No idea what you are talking about :o(((

but if you are talking about holes in the decking, more than two sleepers
apart, I would presume it was because the radar was temporarily unable to
read "real" speed of locomotive to balance against the actual speed of each
axle. Their is a small allowance made, to account for some misses, but this
is limited.This would only be a problem on a heavy ruling grade. ;o)  [ now
how close was I, and I am not an expert, just an ex- user]

> What Chris Downs said is wrong power is taken away from the axle(s)
> not wheel sets concerned. The radar reads each axle.

Why would an axle be different from a wheel set?
The wheels are after all fixed to the axle, which has a traction motor
hanging off it. The power is reduced to the traction motor, to the gear set
to the axle and to the wheels????

All GM locomotives have had the speed of two axle sets checked! That is how
the wheel slip system knows one set is spinning faster than the other
 sorry but duhhhhh!)

On older Locos fitted with tri-axle bogies the No2 and 5 axle sets are not
measured, and so a vigilant driver will react to spinning wheels, and
correct the problem his self. Only indication would be the sound, and
possibly the speedo which was usually attached to the No 2 wheel set. I
believe the G's and 81's have all axles checked, as part of Super Series.
Rod