Re: Finemores to merge with Toll

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3a99f970.28853314@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a99f970.28853314@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:51:10 +1100, "Adam Dunning"
> <adamdunning@start.com.au> wrote:
>
> >which is interesting.  I heard a rumor recently that Toll's won't be able
> >buy NR on their own.  They are looking for someone with rail expertise to
> >buy it with them.  FA is off their list because of the way they (FA)
dropped
> >the Toll train for SCT.
> >
> >Adam
> >
> This seems to be correct.
> Tolls need a partner with Rail experiance.
> Its getting harder to see who exactly will be left to bid for NRC if
> its expected to fetch $500 M.
> Its hard to see where FA will get $500 M from given they were
> originally struggling to raise the $164 M for vline freight.
>
> ASR / G & S is now unlikley to bid as Fels and the ACCC will rule that
> given their successful bid for Westrail, owning NRC as well would make
> them too dominant.
> Wisconsin Central is selling most of its overseas rail holdings and so
> is unlikley to bid .
> ATN access could bid , but would need a financial  backer with deep
> pockets ,and it has in the past relied on WC for finance.
>
> So whos left ??
> Beats me.
>
> MD

Don't forget, FA bid more than ARG for Westrail, with the same sort of fund
splits as ARG.

Only $500mil?  NSW government recon they'll get $2 bil for FC, so I would
have thought that NR wouldn't have gone for under 1.

NR have 120 relatively new locomotives, plus arround 50 (any know for sure)
second hand Clydes of C, AN, DL, BL & 81 classes, they have a large number
of carriages opperating the majority of Australia's rail based interstate
freight, and are starting to make inraods into short haul, as seen in the
contracts they have in NSW.

As well as that, they have BHP or OneSteel stitched up for the next 9 (?)
years with a nation wide contract.

The only question, which would greatly effect the price, is who owns the
land where NR opperate out of?  Has this problem been fixed, or is the
ownerships still up in the air?  If no land was included, I could see NR
going for $500mil (I know, a turn arround from the begining of this post,
but I can sort of see how now)

Adam