Re: [Melb] New trains?

Ben <smithb@alphalink.com.au> wrote in article
<3a965486@news.alphalink.com.au>:

>> As for the ride, I agree that standard guage is far superior to broad
>> guage, but I am unsure if that's purely due to track condition.
>
>Every time I've been on the XPT to somewhere in NSW (either Cootamundra
>or Sydney) from Vic that in Vic the ride is always rougher than in NSW.
>So it would seem to me that track condition is the problem.

XPT is a little different to compare IMO. The Victorian segment of the line
between Melbourne and Sydney was built on the cheap in the 60's. The other
factor is when ARTC took it over, it was in poor condition. ARTC have done
quite a fair bit of work on the cheaply reconstructed western standard
guage, and apparently the ride is a lot better now. Haven't been on the NE
SG for nearly a year now, but one would assume with the work ARTC have done
so far it should be a lot nicer to ride on now.

I'd be interested to see from the perspective of someone whose ridden on
narrow guage suburbans and standard guage suburbans how they compare in
ride quality.

Michael

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME