Re: [Melb] New trains?

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in article
<3a9505c6$0$25474$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>| What is the structure gauge difference?  The 4D is narrower and
>| shorter and lower than Sydney's standard gauge stock, so what advantage
>| does the broad gauge really have?

>Better ride?

The 4D is only shorter and narrower because our loading guage isn't
designed for double deck trains. I worked it out a while ago, but a 6 car
Comeng is roughly equal to 7.25 4D cars in length. I would say that a
Comeng could run quite well on Standard Gauge though (1002T did back in
1980 when it went to Granville for structural testing - Can anyone
comment on what it's speed restrictions were, if any?).

As for the ride, I agree that standard guage is far superior to broad
guage, but I am unsure if that's purely due to track condition. Another
factor could be that double deck cars are heavier than a standard single
deck car. It's been so long since I've been on the 4D, I can't remember
what the ride is like, but next time I get a ride on it, i'll compare.

The main advantage I've seen for single deck BG cars over double deck SG
cars is, that a single deck BG will almost always remain upright in the
event of a smash or derailment. Tangara cars almost always end up on their
side.

Michael.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME