Re: [Melb] New trains?

Michael (usenet.spam@gunzel.net) wrote:
> Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in article
> <3a9505c6$0$25474$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

> >| What is the structure gauge difference?  The 4D is narrower and
> >| shorter and lower than Sydney's standard gauge stock, so what advantage
> >| does the broad gauge really have?

> >Better ride?

> The 4D is only shorter and narrower because our loading guage isn't
> designed for double deck trains. I worked it out a while ago, but a 6 car
> Comeng is roughly equal to 7.25 4D cars in length. I would say that a
> Comeng could run quite well on Standard Gauge though (1002T did back in
> 1980 when it went to Granville for structural testing - Can anyone
> comment on what it's speed restrictions were, if any?).

The only complication might be the bowed sides on a Comeng. It may have
run as an out of gauge load.

VR had 10ft width cars (large W cars) which also ran in NSW (as the VFW),
but they were slightly out of gauge and they were not allowed to pass each
other in NSW. Even in Victoria they were well known for scraping platforms.

Cheers
David