Re: [Melb] New trains?

> As for the ride, I agree that standard guage is far superior to broad
> guage, but I am unsure if that's purely due to track condition.

Every time I've been on the XPT to somewhere in NSW (either Cootamundra or
Sydney) from Vic that in Vic the ride is always rougher than in NSW. So it
would seem to me that track condition is the problem.

 Another factor could be that double deck cars are heavier than a standard
single
> deck car. It's been so long since I've been on the 4D, I can't remember
> what the ride is like, but next time I get a ride on it, i'll compare.

I can remember that when I first rode on 4D I was surprised how smooth the
ride was. It seems to have better noise insulation and airconditioning than
any other Melbourne suburban train as well.

Ben Smith