Re: Transport ticket system collapses

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
WCRk6.549$Op3.65841@news4.aus1.giganews.com">news:WCRk6.549$Op3.65841@news4.aus1.giganews.com...
| "Tezza"

| > He still said that he and his workmates have had problems. One fault can
| > affect thousands of passengers before it's fixed.
|
| He also said *rarely* - for all you know, that one fault could have
occurred
| somewhere like Telopea, and only affects 20 people per day (since a lot of
| the paxs at Telopea arrive by State Transit bus, and already have their
| $1.10 pensioner tickets).
|
| You are extrapolating that since some regular users *rarely* experience
| faults, that the fact that they do means that the machines are inherently
| unreliable and that everyone always experiences faults. This is not the
| case.

And is probably why I haven't said that or anything remotely like it.

| Even if one faulty machione can affect thousands, for these "thousands" to
| be *regularly* inconvenienced, then countless machines owuld have to be
out
| of action on countless occasions.

Who said anything about regularly?

| You, as someone who does not buy tickets,
| cannot know if this is the case or not. I (and others who have posted
here),
| as people who *do* buy tickets, can attest to our own personal experiences
| on this matter.

I probably see more machines, passengers or staff than any who have posted
on this topic.

| > He's had problems, his mates have had problems, others on here have had
| > problems and hordes of others have had problems.
|
| They have *rarely* experienced problems.

But everybody "rarely" experiencing probloms works out to lots of problems.

| When I flew back from Melbourne, I had to wait for 95 minutes for my
baggage
| with QANTAS. This is the ONLY time I have had a baggae problem, so I would
| describe baggage problems with QF as "rare".

But when you add everybody else in it's not. Airline baggage handling
problems aren't an urban myth. If it was so rare they wouldn't need
dedicated staff to handle it.

| Using your logic, I would never fly QF again,

That must be your logic cause once again, your dribbling on about someone
I've said absolutely nothing about.

| as they have baggage
| problems - others had problems (everyone on that flight had delays with
| baggage), etc.

*That's* what I was saying, that one supposed "rare" problem can affect
many, many people.

| Using my logic, we recognise it was a one off (five flights
| arriving when only two were scheduled, they only had two lots of staff to
| unload) and things go on.
|
| If things were as bad as you try to claim (and I note that nobody who
| actually pays for tickets - so this excludes you, Tezza - is complaining)
| then there would be an uproar in the media, and this is not happening.

It's in the media once or twice a year on a regular basis.

| > | Unless the problems *magically* occur
| > | where Bill and his mates won't experience them, which defies logic.
| >
| > They did experience them.
|
| Rarely.

They all still experienced them.

| Once every three months is acceptable, AFAIC. I don't know what the
| problem rate was, but whatever it was, if they describe it as *rare* then
it
| is acceptable.

I wouldn't call that rare or acceptable. If my car caused me that much
trouble I'd get rid of it. If my computer or any household appliance caused
me that much trouble I'd get a refund and buy a different brand.

| > | If the machines are inherently unreliable, then they all be breaking
| down.
| >
| > They do on a regular basis according to the SRA's figures.
|
| And we know how they change the figures to suit themselves. Witness the
| IPART concerns over the latest fare increases.

Yeah, they'd get a big advantage from inflating faulty ticket machine
figures.