RE: "customers" demand an extra carriage

Why not simply run the service as First Stop Penrith - There are plenty of
other services that can deliver passengers from Strathfield, Granville and
Parramatta to Penrith where they can join the express.

It is lot harder for a passenger to get off when the train doesn't stop than
to evade the revenue collectors should the service be made pick up only.
Plus, running the service as an express wouldn't require any additional
staff
or create a scene on the trains or the platforms.

The same goes for Eastwood, Epping and Hurstville.  There is no real reason
why passengers from these stations can't take one of the many trains to
Hornsby or Sutherland and join the peak hour expresses from those stations.

On another topic, now that CityRail has had its moment with the
international
media, showing off it's 'All Double Decker Fleet' (never mind the Endeavours
and 620/720s), would it still be possible to put a U Boat or four back into
service?  (i.e. Have they all been sold off yet?)

MrPC

>===== Original Message From Hunslet <hunslet@cia.com.au> =====
>Marvin The Martian wrote:
>
>> Have you ever thought that cityrail hasn't got the extra carrige? They
don't
>> come out of thin air.
>>
>> Scott Beecham wrote:
>>
>> > A commuter handed me a leaflet containing the following on today's
somewhat
>> > packed 6:32 pm to Mt Victoria:
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------
>> > The 6:30 pm to Mt Victoria is only a 4-carriage train and is always
crowded!
>> > ----
>> > THIS TRAIN NEEDS AN EXTRA CARRIAGE
>
>G'day.
>
>To provide an "extra carriage", it would be necessary to provide a minimum of
two
>cars (a trailer and another power car).   These are simply NOT available.
So
>desperate is SRA for intercity rolling stock that suburban Tangaras are being
>provided on some "G" set outer-suburban rosters to release G sets for V set
>workings, particularly on the South Coast;  also, there is a serious proposal
>convert the Contura  trailer car back to a normal passenger vehicle.   In
>addition, the Glenbrook power car is to be rebuilt.   The intercity rolling
stock
>situation will be made more difficult with the extension of electrification
from
>Dapto to Kiama later this year.
>
>There is a simple solution to the longer distance travellers on this service,
>actually the 1832 from Sydney Central, one that State Rail would most likely
>listen to.   At present, the train conveys passengers from Sydney Central to
>Strathfield, Granville, Parramatta, Penrith then all stations to Mount
Victoria.