Re: Tenders for Mt Gambier line

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:42:23 +1100, Chris Gordon
<cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>> Umm so what.
>> Absolutely no evidence that if Heywood to Mt Gambier was std guage
>> anything would have run that way.
>

>Just think of all the grain in SA that could go to Portland instead of
>over the hills to Adelaide.

Whats to stop such grain going to portland now via Ararat??
Most of the grain grown in SA is collected in silos north of Adelaide
and in silos on the Pinnaroo and Loxton  and Apumurra lines.
I can really see ASR loving to have to reverse their trains at Tailem
Bend, run them to Mt Gambier and then on to Portland which will mean
additional track access fees paid to FA and whoever ends up with the
Wolselsy to Mt G section.

Why dont freightcorp bring all their grain trains from Temora to
Portland or Appleton  Dock in Melb rather than having to drag them
fully loaded up the Cullerin Range and onto Port Kembla.???

Even when the BG existed in SA and Wolseley to Mt Gambier was open
the grain even from silos as far south as Naracoorte and Penola and
Kalangadoo still went to Adelaide via rail, grain was never on a
regular basis railed to Portland..

MD

MD

MD