RE: [VIC] Ill-informed NIMBYism can be more dangerous than trains "mowing down rows of houses and a school".

Apologies for my recent silence - the sudden disappearance of Deja has left
me
off the air for a few days.

The PTUA strongly supports the Airport rail link with a preference for the
Broadmeadows route. We think that on present plans the station is too far
from
the terminal (put the station 5 mins walk from the terminal and then suggest
special fast trains to save 5 mins off the trip), and we do not support the
use of special high speed trains.

The Airport Line should be just another part of the suburban network that
happens to go to the Airport. Some express running would be desireable to
achieve a satisfactory travel time (perhaps 30 - 35 minutes from Flinders to
the Airport).

It would also be desireable to remove the level crossings along the line at
the same time to improve safety and minimise disruption to traffic and
pedestrians. Before its obession with freeways, the predecessor to Vic Roads
used to have a programme of eliminating level crossings. For reasons of
aesthetics its better to do this by lowering the rail line (see Elsternwick
and Boronia) rather than raising the road (See Sunshine, Huntingdale)

Vaughan

>===== Original Message From taliesin@chariot.net.au (Taliesin Walker) =====
>>Is there an opposing group to these idiots? Someone to support the link?
>>Lets hear their side of the story.
>Unfortunately, from my observation, people only seem to form these
>groups to oppose things. (That is modern democracy for you!)
>
>Tali

Vaughan Williams
Secretary
Public Transport Users Association